Benefits Specialist (Fiscal Analyst 2)
SALARY: $3,249.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 03/07/19
CLOSING DATE: 03/25/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Benefits Specialist in the District Business Office.
Under general supervision and reporting to the Director of Accounting, this position will assist in overseeing the employee's benefits programs and will perform professional accounting functions for the Benefits area of the Business Office using policies and procedures established by the Accounting Department, CCS and State and Federal regulations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP).
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide CCS staff benefits information and guidance in the eligibility and enrollment activities for health related benefits and retirement. *
- Accurately maintain computer and paper file benefits records. *
- Reconcile life insurance and long-term disability employee deductions. Resolve differences and prepare benefit adjustments to correct as needed. *
- Review and reconcile benefit data and perform routine audits to ensure accuracy and compliance with external constituents such as DRS, PEBB, HCA, ACA, PERS and prepay accounts. *
- Review and reconcile benefit data and perform routine audits to ensure accuracy and compliance with employee authorizations and state/federal requirements. *
- Become proficient in Benefits enrollment processing. *
- Assist higher-level accountants or fiscal officers with accounting summary information, analysis of financial reports and development of procedures. *
- Notify employees and take appropriate action in the appropriate data base systems when employees are no longer eligible for benefits. *
- May perform other accounting duties as assigned. *
- Make presentations to staff regarding benefits. *
- Resolve problems for faculty and staff related to benefits and eligibility. Reconcile the CCS cash receipts holding account. Investigate discrepancies and resolve differences. Prepare journal entries to correct as needed. *
- Communicate with other state agencies and vendors to resolve problems with faculty and staff benefit calculations, payments and eligibility. Prepare vouchers to refund vendors for overpayments. *
- Monitor tax deferred annuity maximums and prepare calculations as appropriate. *
- Monitor health and retirement eligibility for adjunct faculty and notify employees quarterly of eligibility status changes. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Bachelor's degree, which includes 18 quarter hours or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing, or budgeting from an accredited institution or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with automated financial systems.
- Knowledge of Retirement Plans and Insurance (Medical, Life and Disability).
- Proficiency working with computerized spreadsheets and word processing applications.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work under deadlines and pressure with attention to detail.
- Customer service experience with skills servicing a diverse customer population.
- Ability to make presentations to large groups regarding benefits.
- Ability to use web applications for reporting employee hours and earnings.
- Ability to respond to highly confidential and sensitive information; problem solve and provide alternative solutions when appropriate.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently, exercising independent judgment, analyzing data and finding efficient, effective solutions with minimal oversight.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Experience with PeopleSoft Human Capital Management and Financial Management ERP systems.
- Experience in higher education or governmental environment.
- Knowledge of State of Washington DRS, VEBA, HCA, PEBB programs and TIAA-CREF.
- Familiarity with the State of Washington's Insurance and Employee Benefits laws, and how to accurately implement them.
- Ability to run queries and reports in order to reconcile benefits to the PEBB, HCA, ACA, and PERS reports, and reconcile them to the general ledger.
- Ability to explain complex benefit outcomes to a diverse group of users, such as faculty, staff, State Board, and external constituents.
- Knowledge of CCS policies and procedures as they relate to Payroll, Benefits and Accounting activities.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $54,477. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment.
- Work is performed in a normal, temperature controlled office environment.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Work directly with students/clients.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
- Work in a semi-open office setting with frequent interruptions and background noise.
- Work involves constant interruptions and requirement to answer on demand questions by phone, in person, or electronically.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Regular Employment (12-months)
- This position is overtime eligible
- 6-month probationary period; may be extended up to 12 months
- Criminal background check required
- Position is covered by collective bargaining agreement
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.