Campus Security Officer
SALARY: $3,511.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 09/20/19
CLOSING DATE: 10/14/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Campus Security Officer in the District Administration Division.
Under general supervision of the District Director of Security, this position performs general duty security work to protect life and property; enforces laws and ordinances, maintains order, and prevents and investigates crime, security, safety, and related activities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a security presence on a campus location and on a rotating basis provide a night shift mobile security patrol presence for all Community Colleges of Spokane properties in the Spokane area on foot or in a patrol vehicle; inspect buildings and grounds for prowlers, fire, property damage, or other irregularities to enforce institution rules and regulations, local, state, and federal statutes and ordinances. Monitor and oversee the presence and performance of night shift contract security personnel. *
- Investigate accidents and crimes, issue citations for violations, gather evidence, locate witnesses, and appear in court as required. Work with and/or assist city or county police and state patrol when needed or in cases of emergency. Administer first aid if needed. *
- Direct and regulate traffic, patrol campus parking areas on foot or in a vehicle, observe parking and traffic patterns, issues citations for parking violations, follow-through on collections and/or citations and appeals. *
- Maintain surveillance of an area suspect for criminal activity to stop criminal activity. *
- Operate department communication equipment, answer telephone inquiries, receive reports of criminal activity, dispatch foot and mobile units, operate paging system, and monitor alarm systems. *
- Complete and file reports as required. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
- May be present for meetings with sex offenders with administrators.
* Indicates this is an essential duty
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Associate's degree in Criminal Justice from an accredited institution or Certification from the Criminal Justice Training Commission. Or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Knowledge of campus law enforcement, investigation procedures, rules governing public access to buildings and grounds, electronic security systems, rules of behavior, general safety precautions and fire hazards, methods and procedures for searching for violators, fire-fighting equipment and fire prevention methods, and first aid.
- Ability to handle emergency situations and conflict without escalation.
- Ability to investigate incidents and write reports.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of maintaining required reports and filing systems.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to use a computer and contemporary office software.
- Ability to work varied/rotating shifts.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Two years of work experience as a campus security guard or equivalent experience, or work experience as a campus police or security officer or equivalent experience or training.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Be able to obtain a Law Enforcement Commission.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $57,984. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is commonly performed outdoors in uncontrolled elements.
- Work is active in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Work in a semi-open office setting with frequent interruptions and background noise.
- Work directly with students/clients.
- Work involves constant interruptions and requirement to answer on demand questions by phone, in person, or electronically.
- Move up to 25 lbs frequently and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
- Occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing.
- Requires communication ability necessary to understand instructions and recognize hazardous, unsafe or poisonous materials and/or products.
- Occasional exposure to fumes, dust, odors and/or biohazards.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Occasional to frequent change in position from sedentary, standing, stooping and walking.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours week)
- Position is eligible for overtime
- 6 month probationary period; may be extended to 12 months
- Requires criminal background check
- Valid Driver's License
- Ability to travel locally, as well as occasional out-of-town travel
- If using personal vehicle for travel, proof of driver's license and car insurance required
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.