GSI members: To post a job opening, click on the "LOGIN TO YOUR GSI ACCOUNT" button below, then scroll down and click on "My Jobs Postings".
Kalispel Tribal Economic Authority
PO Box 39
Usk, WA 99180
Job Category: Other
Employment: Full Time
Listing Expires: February 01, 2019
The Kalispel Tribe of Indians in Usk and Airway Heights, Washington is seeking a full time Contract & Intellectual Property Staff Attorney. This job requires local weekly travel between Airway Heights and Usk.
We offer a competitive wage with excellent benefits package: Medical, dental, life insurance & short/long term disability. Free Parking, tuition reimbursement, and more!
Summary of Functions
Provides legal representation to the Kalispel Tribe of Indians including governmental departments and enterprises in the areas of contracts, grants and intellectual property.
• Requires a Juris Doctorate Degree.
• Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Washington.
• Admitted to Practice in Federal Court – Eastern District of Washington
• Minimum 10+ years as a Washington State licensed attorney with extensive commercial transaction and litigation experience.
• Minimum 7+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate-tribal legal department; in-house corporate legal experience with demonstrated knowledge of laws impacting tribes in areas such as taxation, business formation and structures preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in substantive intellectual property matters (copyright and trademark) and contract claim experience specifically including construction litigation.
• Minimum 3+ years’ experience in Federal Indian Law including a demonstrated working knowledge of the laws regarding contract and employment litigation, Intellectual Property, fee to trust applications, sovereign rights of an Indian Tribe, and working & negotiating with federal and state agencies.
• Preferred 5+ years’ experience as a tribal In-house Attorney or direct representation of tribes.
• Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures impacting Tribal Government programs and economic development, Tribal business development.
• Ability to provide expert level advice to Tribal Government, departments and enterprises in the areas of negotiating and drafting complex contracts proposal development, bid procedures, contracting and regulatory compliance matters, trade compliance regulations, intellectual property protection.
• Demonstrated experience in trial and litigation practice at federal and state levels.
• Experience and knowledge negotiating and implementing contracts under §638.
• A working knowledge of Indian Gaming Law including an understanding of Washington State Gaming Regulations and laws and the rules and regulations of the National Indian Gaming Commission.
• Experience in handling regulatory matters, including GLB, DPPA, FCRA and HIPAA is a plus. Services / Software Industry experience preferred.
• Analytical and research skills required.
• Experience negotiating commercial contracts and other experience demonstrating ability to handle and close commercial and legal negotiations.
• Experience working in a fast-paced, fluid and collegial and results-driven environment.
• Ability to draft and close commercial agreements with minimal support from senior staff.
• Demonstrated ability to think and decide quickly, and to communicate legal issues and solutions clearly and concisely.
• Experience with tribal economic development projects preferred.
• Willingness to travel locally on a frequent basis and occasionally out-of-town. (Position is generally 2 days per week in Cusick, WA and 2 Days in Airway Heights, WA)
Certificates, Licenses, Regulations:
Licensed to Practice Law in State of Washington with no disciplinary actions.
Valid Drivers License
For further information and full job description or to apply online, please visit our website at:
Copy this and paste this URL into a web browser:
We exercise Indian Preference and are a
Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace, which includes Marijuana, which is not federally recognized.
Hiring Preference: The Kalispel Tribe of Indians is an Equal opportunity employer. Consistent with federal law, the Kalispel Tribe of Indians applies Indian preference in employment. It is the policy of the Kalispel Tribe of Indians to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Kalispel Tribal Members; 2) Spouses of an enrolled Kalispel Tribal Member; 3) enrolled members of other Indian Tribes; 4) all other applicants. At-Will Employment: Employment with the Kalispel Tribe of Indians is at-will and can be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, either at the option of the employee or the Kalispel Tribe of Indians. Drug Testing: The Kalispel Tribe of Indians is a drug free work place. All applicants are subject to drug testing at the time of hire and at unannounced times during employment. Background Investigation: All candidates and employees may be subject to a background investigation.