Cook 2 - Head Start
SALARY: $2,658.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 09/06/19
CLOSING DATE: 09/23/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Cook 2 in the Head Start/Early Head Start Division.
Under general supervision, this position will support the nutrition component of Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) by providing nutritious meals and snacks while supporting child and adult nutrition education. This position will perform skilled cooking duties and ensure the preparation and service of food is provided in a sanitary and compliant manner in a HS/EHS kitchen as well as delivery of food and supplies to HS Centers.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in large-scale preparation and service of food on assigned shift; prepares main entrees as directed; anticipates and performs preliminary preparation necessary for next day's meals. *
- Prepare food items according to menu, standardized recipe and verbal instruction; prepare and cook vegetables, meats, casseroles, soups, and cereals; prepare salads, quick breads, snack items, and etc. ensuring meals and snacks are served according to schedule. *
- Adjust recipes and food amounts to meet USDA requirements or to meet children's needs; provide food substitutions as required, including special diet substitutions as directed by the Nutrition Specialist. *
- Operate standard cooking equipment ensuring standards of sanitation and safety are met and maintained in the kitchen. *
- Inventory and maintain necessary supplies and goods for assigned meals; order supplies from Head Start production kitchen or appropriate vendors. *
- Supervise full and part-time employees, work study students, or volunteers (train, schedule, evaluate, discipline and respond to grievances). Adhere to classified contracts and all district rules and regulations ensuring efficient operations of the HS/EHS. *
- Inform and educate staff about behavior and performance expectations, provide timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and ensure performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly and effectively. *
- Clean the kitchen and equipment ensuring sanitary standards are met. *
- Store leftover ingredients and prepared foods in a safe and sanitary manner ensuring utilization and proper rotation. *
- Maintain USDA production records and daily refrigerator and other temperature logs. *
- Deliver food and supplies to outlying sites. *
- May participate with site team in providing parent nutrition training/information.
- Attend program meetings as requested.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform related duties as required. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty.
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Has knowledge of food preparation principles.
- Has knowledge of and applies sanitation and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal safety and sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of nutrition standards and food substitutions.
- Basic math skills needed to calculate measurement conversions, order supplies and adjust recipe size.
- Good communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as a member of a team.
- Ability to manage time to meet deadlines with minimal direction.
- Positive interpersonal skills to be able to work with children and adults.
- Ability to maintain confidential information with parents, staff, and volunteers.
- Possession of, or eligible for, a food handler's permit.
- Requires First Aid/CPR (as offered through CCS).
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Two years' cooking experience in a production kitchen.
- Completion of course in large-scale cooking.
- Knowledge of USDA CACFP Regulations.
- Previous experience working with Head Start or low-income populations.
- Knowledge of Child Care Licensing food codes.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $46,567. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is active in nature.
- Move up to 25 lbs frequently and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
- Occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Occasional to frequent change in position from sedentary, standing, stooping and walking.
- Requires communication ability necessary to understand instructions and recognize hazardous, unsafe or poisonous materials and/or products.
- Occasional exposure to fumes, dust, odors and/or biohazards.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours a week).
- Position is eligible for overtime.
- 6-month Probation Period; may be extended to 12 months.
- Post-Offer Criminal history/child abuse information check.
- Post-Offer medical exam which includes tuberculin screening and submission of documentation indicating Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) vaccination or immunity.
- Requires local or regional travel. If using personal vehicle proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.