GSI members: To post a job opening, click here to post a job.
Spokane Regional Emergency Communications (SREC)
1620 N. Rebecca St., Spokane, WA 99217Local Map
Job Category: Government
Employment: Full Time
Benefits: Great Benefits!
Listing Expires: November 30, 2019
$114,648.00 - $153,636.00 annually with great benefits.
Applications must be submitted at www.srec911.org.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
FLSA exempt position that supports and assists the Executive Director in overall administration, management, planning, organizing and staffing as well as the development, enforcement and implementation of policies procedures and standards. The Deputy Director assumes responsibility for the agency in the absence of, or on behalf of, the Executive Director. Work is performed under the direction of the Executive Director, and is assigned in terms of broad, general objectives. The Deputy Director has considerable latitude for independent judgment, initiative, leadership and resourcefulness on operations and administrative matters. Work is reviewed by the Executive Director through interactive observation, reports, and meetings and evaluated for results obtained, fulfillment of expectations and program objectives along with adherence to program budgets, management philosophies, operational guidelines and legal guidelines. The Deputy Director promotes the Center’s mission of regional collaboration, vision and strategic initiatives needed to operate a large communications center.
• Directs the work and evaluates the Operations Manager(s).
• Oversees all the operational functions of the Center.
• Oversees contingency planning for the Center’s operations.
• Manages assigned functions to achieve organizational goals within budgeted funds and available personnel.
• Develops and reviews the Standard Operating Procedures and service standards for the operations and
• Administers or reviews recommendations regarding disciplinary actions and terminations.
• Provides effective leadership and direction for Operations, Training and other functions, as necessary.
• Primary liaison to operational subcommittees.
• Gathers and analyzes data from various sources for short- and long-range strategic planning, performance
monitoring, identifying and addressing areas of improvement, and workload forecasting.
• Develops staff projections, workload, and work distribution; determines impacts of adding new agencies as
• Plans, organizes, coordinates, and evaluates performance standards and ensures they are consistent with i
• Provides input and review for the Center’s budget.
• Participates in short and long-range planning and provides input regarding policy making decisions.
• Develops, coordinates input from other departments, and oversees updates of the Multi-Year Plan
• Assists in the interview and selection of all SREC staff, as necessary.
• Assists the Executive Director in directing and coordinating 24-hour emergency call receiving and dispatch
• Participates in developing and executing bargaining strategy for SREC with Employee Representatives.
• Promotes and practices excellent customer service delivery.
• May represent the Center on a variety of standing and special committees on local and regional levels. Acts
as liaison with personnel from other agencies and dispatch centers.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Is reliable, dependable and reports for work on a consistent basis.
• Carries a wireless phone and responds to problems or incidents as required.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism regarding sensitive internal and external
Contacts are made both inside and outside the organization. Internal contacts frequently include the Communications Officers, Supervisory staff and Administrative personnel. External contacts may include the Center customers, outside vendors, governmental personnel, applicants and citizens. This position is representative of the Center and therefore it is critical that all interactions are respectful and professional. Interactions tend to focus on information exchange and the receiving and giving of procedural changes. Most external interactions are via telephone or electronic exchange.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE OF/SKILL IN:
• Policies, procedures and techniques of public safety communications.
• Effective techniques in personnel supervision, coaching and performance evaluation.
• Strategic short and long-range planning techniques.
• Evaluating and meeting the needs of partner agencies.
• Protocols, practices and procedures of public safety emergency operations.
• Understanding of critical service delivery expectations in operations per partner agency stakeholders.
REQUIRED ABILITY TO:
• Effectively supervise manage, mentor and evaluate subordinates.
• Effectively direct the operations of an emergency dispatch center.
• Make timely and appropriate decisions under emergency situations.
• Prepare and present complex operational reports as directed.
• Establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with diverse employee and other
• Plan, organize, prioritize, delegate and work independently.
• Establish and enforce consistent work rules and policies.
• Interpret and administer Administrative Policy and/or Collective Bargaining agreements.
• Respond to notifications and report to Center as necessary.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• BA degree in Public Administration, Criminal Justice or related field.
• Individuals possessing the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above are considered to possess the
• Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience working in a police, fire, or EMS public safety dispatching
• Five (5) years of supervisory experience.
MANDATORY LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION:
• Possession of or ability to obtain driver’s license valid in Washington within 30 days of hire date.
• Successful completion of CJIS Background check.
• A Central Computerized Enforcement Service System (ACCESS) certification upon employment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit applications at www.srec911.org. If you have questions regarding this position or need assistance, please contact Jeff Tower, HR Manager, via email firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.