ECPS1 - Head Start Assistant Teacher - Project
SALARY: $2,307.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 11/30/18
CLOSING DATE: 12/17/18 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
These are the position terms open for recruitment:
Position 1 (Project) - 40 hrs. per week at SCC Head Start,
Position 2 (Project) - 40 hrs. per week at WBC Head Start
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Head Start Assistant Teacher - ECPS1 - Project in the Head Start/Early Head Start Division.
Under the general supervision of the Center Manager, this position assists in performing recurring routine job duties and assignments under the daily direction of the Lead and/or Associate Teacher in implementing the educational curriculum and the general operation of a Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) early childhood classroom.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in preparation and implementation of classroom and outside daily routines and activities. Utilize daily routines to support individual learning opportunities. *
- Assist in the development, implementation, and documentation of an early childhood curriculum. *
- Assist in assessing the developmental needs of infants/toddlers and/or preschoolers; may track individual progress by recording ongoing assessments and assist with the development of individualized learning opportunities, inclusive of children with disabilities. *
- Promote and protect children's health by adhering to IHP (Individual Health Plans) and special diet needs. Attend to children's personal needs and model routine care as a component of primary care giving. *
- Assist in conducting developmental screenings, providing referrals, and arranging follow-up services and ensuring parents are involved in curriculum planning and child observations in the classroom environment. *
- Assist with maintaining required documentation, records, and supplies.
- May assist, and/or perform work of the Lead and/or Associate Teacher and guide children for specified periods when the teacher(s) are absent.
- Work effectively as a member of a classroom and direct services team to provide integrated, comprehensive services to children and families.
- May participate in case management, home visits, center conferences and the development and implementation of Children's Individual Plans (CIP) and family transition plans with Direct Service Team.
- Participate in essential meetings and trainings.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform related duties as required. *
'*' Indicates this is an "essential duty"
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- One (1) year of experience in childcare OR equivalent education/experience.
- Current First aid/CPR training or ability to obtain (as available through CCS).
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral English.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional/ethical boundaries with families and staff members.
- Ability to maintain a healthy, safe and welcoming environment both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Knowledge of appropriate techniques for diapering, sanitation, napping, feeding, and toilet training.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- State Early Childhood Education (ECE) certificate OR Current Child Development Associate (CDA).
- One Year experience working with infant/toddler/preschool aged children.
- Previous experience with Head Start/Early Head Start or working with low income families from a variety of cultural groups, especially English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Basic computer skills, including e-mail and word processing.
- Previous experience with Teaching Strategies Gold and Creative Curriculum Tools.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $41,869 based on twelve months of employment. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment.
- Work is performed in indoor, temperature controlled environment and outdoor uncontrolled elements.
- Move up to 25 lbs frequently and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
- Work directly with students/clients.
- Frequent kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing and twisting.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
- Occasional exposure to fumes, dust, odors and/or biohazards.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours a week).
- 6-month probationary period; may be extended up to 12 months.
- Position is eligible for overtime.
- Ability to travel locally.
- If using personal vehicle for travel proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
- Pre-Employment Post-Offer, criminal history/child abuse information check, including Department of Early Learning Portable Background Check clearance prior to employment.
- Pre-Employment Post-Offer medical exam and tuberculin skin test.
- This position is designated a bargaining unit position.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.