Executive Assistant to the VP of Learning
SALARY: $46,168.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 01/02/19
CLOSING DATE: 01/21/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Executive Assistant in the Vice President of Learning Office at Spokane Falls Community College.
The Executive Assistant is responsible for performing executive secretarial and administrative staff functions for the Vice President of Learning, consistent with the administrative policies, guidelines, and procedures of the Community Colleges of Spokane. The Executive Assistant must project a positive and professional attitude and image for the Vice President's office and act with confidence and a high level of confidentiality.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform administrative support functions for the Vice President of Learning by assisting in budget planning and development, expenditure control, records management and/or report preparation. Maintain calendar, schedule appointments, and establish calendar priorities for Vice President. Process all purchase requests, make travel arrangements, and prepare expense reports for the Vice President. Assist in public relations and personnel administration. Conduct preliminary research projects. *
- Provide assistance to the Vice President in assembling background material, reports, and data for scheduled meetings and conferences. *
- Excellent editing and grammatical skills with the ability to compose drafts and final responses to inquiries, letters, emails, memoranda, and questionnaires. *
- Schedule appointments and establish calendar priorities for the Vice President, requiring knowledge of preferences for whom to schedule or refer to other offices. Provide appropriate information to the Vice President for each appointment. *
- Maintain daily and monthly tickler file for follow-up on tasks and deadlines as assigned by the Vice President to other staff. *
- Prepare notices for meetings, assist in preparation of meeting agendas and backup material for meetings, as well as compilation of minutes from those meetings. *
- Screen inquiries from the public and staff to determine which should be handled personally by the Vice President, or referred to other offices. *
- Implement office procedures, including filing systems, processing of mail, answering of telephone, and procedures that lead to efficiency and effectiveness. *
- Manage the office of the Vice President of Learning in a confidential, adaptable, reliable and dependable manner. *
- Serve as liaison between Vice President, administrators, faculty, and the public. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- An Associate degree in Secretarial Science, Education or another related field from an accredited institution, OR An equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Three years of experience as an executive secretary, administrative assistant, or equivalent.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of how to compose drafts and final responses to inquiries, letters, and questionnaires.
- Skill in taking meeting minutes using a variety of means.
- Ability to plan, manage time and set goals and priorities.
- Ability to think critically, act logically to evaluate situations, solve problems, and make decisions.
- Ability to deal with multiple deadlines and priorities in an executive setting.
- Knowledge of how to track, monitor, and reconcile multiple department budgets.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of how to conduct research, compile and analyze data.
- Ability to prepare brief and concise reports utilizing information processing technology and web based software.
- Ability to edit and proof documents with minimal errors.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, and community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Prior experience working at a college or university.
- A Bachelor's degree in Secretarial Science, Education or another closely related field from an accredited institution.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $65,060 - $67,351. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in an office environment which is adequately heated and ventilated.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens in performing work assignments.
- Work involves constant interruptions and requirement to answer on demand questions by phone, in person or electronically.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Contract position
- Position is exempt from Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Requires criminal background check
- Ability to travel locally as well as occasional out-of-town travel
- If using personal vehicle for travel proof of driver's license and car insurance required
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.