Instruction & Classroom Support Technician 2 - Arts & Sciences
SALARY: $3,346.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 10/03/19
CLOSING DATE: 10/25/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Instructional & Classroom Support Technician 2 in the Arts and Sciences Division.
Under general supervision, the Scientific Instructional Technician will provide technical support to the Physical Science teaching program. This support is heavily weighted toward laboratory use and maintenance.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform professional/technical instructional support involving the use of scientific, technical, and/or academic knowledge, materials, and techniques. *
- Provide instructional support to science-related undergraduate courses requiring knowledge of a scientific discipline, electronics, and/or engineering. *
- Set up and take down student labs for Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, and Geology courses. *
- Maintain Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, and Geology labs, as well as preparatory labs, so that they are clean, organized, and meet safety requirements. *
- Maintain lab equipment, which includes but is not limited to lab kits, pH meters, power supplies, and water baths. *
- Prepare chemical solutions and perform hazardous waste disposal. *
- Assist and advise students and faculty when needed and monitor tests and labs at instructors' requests. *
- Determine chemical, equipment, and supply requirements for Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, and Geology labs and order needed materials within budgetary limitations. *
- Develop and/or modify lab exercises in conjunction with instructor. *
- Assist in set up of student research related projects. *
- Assist with trouble shooting and minor repair of equipment. *
- Set up and assist with lab demonstrations. *
- Maintain proper storage, records and disposal of chemicals. *
- Maintain computer files for individual lab requirements, stockroom inventory, and tracking spending. *
- Direct the work of work-study students. *
- Serve on Safety and Health Committee. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
- May drive van on field trips.
* Indicates this is an essential duty.
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- AA Degree from an accredited institution with college-level coursework in organic and inorganic chemistry, geology, or physics. Or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Knowledge of chemistry principles, lab procedures, scientific measurement, and terminology, needed to interpret and assist with laboratories.
- Excellent mathematical skills needed for solution preparation.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with multiple faculty members and instruct students.
- Ability to cope with several different labs being performed at the same time.
- Ability to adjust to unexpected situations that arise in the lab.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer skills in word processing, database spread sheets, etc.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution with major study in chemistry, geology, physics, or a related science field.
- Experience repairing electronic equipment.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet programs.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION : $51,127. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in a classroom/lab environment.
- Ability to mix solutions, chemical reagents, and other compounds.
- Requires communication ability necessary to understand instructions and recognize hazardous, unsafe or poisonous materials and/or products.
- Occasional exposure to fumes, dust, odors and/or biohazards.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Work directly with staff.
- Move up to 25 lbs. occasionally.
- Occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
- Occasional to frequent change in position from sedentary, standing, stooping and walking.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Cyclic schedule (less than 12-months/40-hours a week).
- This position is overtime eligible.
- 6-month probation period; may be extended up to 12 months.
- Criminal background check required.
- Requires local or regional travel. If using personal vehicle proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
- Valid motor vehicle operator license required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.