SALARY: $58,489.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 01/07/20
CLOSING DATE: 01/27/20 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Instructional Designer in the District Instructional Support Services Division.
Come lead innovation to set the standard in eLearning access, teaching and learning excellence, and student success by joining the eLearning team at The Community Colleges of Spokane! Recipients of the 2018-2019 Innovation in eLearning Award, CCS eLearning promotes student achievement by supporting students, faculty, and staff with distance education and instructional technology. CCS eLearning fosters a collaborative team-based approach where you will have the opportunity to contribute to the direction of the department, lead projects, think creatively, and solve problems. Come join us in supporting 30,000 students and 850 faculty in one of the most exciting and fastest-growing cities in the country!
Reporting to the Associate Provost, the Instructional Designer is responsible for supporting faculty teaching online, hybrid, and web-enhanced courses in advancement of the CCS Strategic Plan. This position consults with faculty to design/redesign high quality learning environments based on sound adult learning theory and instructional design practices while promoting the effective use of technology in teaching and learning. Major areas of focus include (a) course design consultation, (b) faculty professional development in the use of online teaching pedagogy and technologies, (c) constructive course reviews, and (d) the integration of new educational technologies into curriculum. The instructional designer is well-versed in adult learning theory, pedagogical strategies, instructional design models, and instructional technology.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with faculty and apply knowledge of andragogy/pedagogy and instructional design processes to design/redesign courses using best practices of integrating course objectives and student learning outcomes in order to enhance student success; integrate multimedia, streaming content, and other educational technologies as appropriate; participate in and guide selection, development, and maintenance of online learning content. *
- Offer creative and innovative ideas for teaching and learning technology to promote learning leading to student success. *
- Develop a district-wide comprehensive training program for faculty, staff, and students in academic and non-academic technologies that support online pedagogy. *
- Design and deliver professional development opportunities for CCS faculty such as workshops, conferences, and one-on-one consultations. *
- Design evaluative methods to measure effectiveness of training and materials; analyze evaluations and make recommendations for changes. *
- Administer Quality Matters (QM) program; provide professional development on QM to faculty, work with faculty to integrate QM into course design, and facilitate course reviews upon request of faculty. *
- Research and evaluate emerging instructional technologies and tools and make recommendations for use through working with vendors to coordinate demonstrations of new, existing, technology tools and actively soliciting faculty feedback and evaluation for potential purchase. *
- Participate in strategic planning, goal-setting, and program assessment. Collaborate with all members of the eLearning department. *
- Compile statistics and write reports documenting eLearning Department activity as required. *
- Provide assistance to the eLearning Help Desk when necessary. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Experience in instructional design, e-learning, and/or professional development.
- Experience delivering instruction such as classroom teaching or professional development delivery.
- Ability to develop and maintain collegial partnerships with faculty, interpret needs, and produce meaningful instructional materials. Willingness to be a problem solver and proactively seek solutions to support instruction.
- Thorough understanding of curriculum development and instructional design; demonstrable ability to design and evaluate effective web-based curriculum using current instructional design methodologies, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of adult learning theories, pedagogical strategies, instructional design models and concepts as well as alternative and authentic assessment methods and techniques.
- Ability to design and deliver online and face-to-face professional development workshops. Must be able to engage an audience and lead small and large groups to mastery of learning objectives.
- Demonstrable proficiency using MS Office software, with advanced expertise in learning management systems, screen-casting software, web conferencing platforms, eLearning authoring tools, and hardware used to support instructional software.
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communications.
- Excellent project management and multitasking skills; creative and flexible approach to problem-solving.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Master's degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Curriculum & Instruction or another closely related field from an accredited institution.
- Higher education teaching experience.
- Proficiency using Quality Matters or similar course design rubric.
- Proficiency in applying Universal Design for Learning framework.
- Proficiency in digital media production and/or graphic design.
- Proficiency with Canvas, Panopto, Respondus, and/or Zoom.
- Advanced proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Office 365; the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop; and/or eLearning authoring tools including Camtasia, Captivate, and Storyline.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $79,489 - $82,468.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
- Base compensation, plus
- Current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates, plus
- Median retirement fund contributions.
The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in a normal, temperature-controlled office environment.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Work involves constant interruptions and requirement to answer on demand questions by phone, in person, or electronically.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Contract position.
- Position is exempt from Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Requires local or regional travel. If using personal vehicle proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
- Criminal background check required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.