Library & Archives Paraprofessional 2 - Library Technician
SALARY: $2,523.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 03/08/19
CLOSING DATE: 04/01/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Library Technician in the Library Services Division.
This position contributes to the success of our highly diverse student body by providing friendly, supportive, and professional customer service at a library circulation desk. Tasks include all basic circulation functions, e.g. checkout/check-in, reserves, shelf maintenance, assessing/collecting fines, updating patron and collection records and making decisions regarding unusual circumstances related to circulation problems. The position is responsible for receiving and checking in periodicals and assisting in inter-library loan activities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform complex circulation desk functions, charging/discharging materials; assessing/collecting fines; updating item/patron records; placing/removing holds on student records; assisting with routine information requests. *
- Ensure cash register transactions comply with district and state auditing standards; apply holds to student records in the Student Management System as needed; and coordinate with the Cashiers Office to ensure blocked student records are handled efficiently. *
- Open/close the library building according to established schedule and will travel between SCC and SFCC Libraries as assigned. *
- Respond to building security or emergency situations in absence of supervisor. *
- Maintain patron information in the Integrated Library System (ILS), including record updates and guest registration; maintain patron record confidentiality following state policies. Follow-up on problem reports and resolve all issues in a timely manner. *
- Hire, train and direct student employees. *
- Serve as CCS Library Services representative to the safety committee. *
- Assist with processing, lending and borrowing interlibrary loan materials. Verify bibliographic citations. Process materials for delivery.
- Receive and process serial titles using the Integrated Library System (ILS). Discard serials according to retention schedules. May send claim notices to vendors when a periodical is not received.
- Assist with processing of library materials.
- Monitor and oversee stack maintenance.
- Maintain comprehensive policy/procedure manuals for department.
- May order and inventory snacks and supplies for resale.
- Provide excellent friendly customer service. *
- Support and advance the CCS mission and perform other duties as assigned. *
'*' Indicates this is an "essential duty"
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Understanding of college library services.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment, maintaining accuracy at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Experience with computers and spreadsheets, database and word processing software such as MS Excel or Google docs.
- Ability to accurately operate and reconcile a cash register.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- An associate degree in library technology from an accredited institution.
- One year of technical experience in the functional operations of a library
- Familiarity with student management systems.
- Familiarity with OCLC's WorldShare Interlibrary Loan system.
- Familiarity with ExLibris' integrated library system, Alma.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $44,760. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment.
- Work requires sitting, standing, bending, twisting and moving around the Library.
- Frequent repetitive hand and wrist motions; frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens in performing work assignments.
- Frequent need for oral and auditory communications in an environment with constant interruptions.
- Occasionally kneel, stoop, crouch, crawl, reach and lift up to 25lbs in a library setting.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours a week).
- This position is overtime eligible.
- 6-month probationary period; may be extended up to 12 months.
- Requires criminal background check.
- Position may require local or regional travel. If using personal vehicle proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
- This position is designated a bargaining unit position.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1