Library Supervisor (Library & Archives Paraprofessional 4)
SALARY: $3,511.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 08/12/19
CLOSING DATE: 08/26/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Library Supervisor in the Library at Spokane Falls Community College.
Under general supervision this position is responsible for supervising the work of library support staff providing circulation, cataloging, reference, and technical services to students, faculty and staff at SFCC. This position will work with library vendors to acquire library materials and perform complex library technical tasks related to cataloging library resources and maintaining the library catalog, communicating circulation and cataloging concerns to the faculty librarians and the Dean of Business, Professional Studies, and Workforce Education.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise (train, schedule, evaluate, respond to grievances and recommend selection, disciplinary action and terminations) classified, part-time hourly, work-study employees adhering to collective bargaining agreements and all district rules and regulations ensuring all essential services are provided efficiently and effectively. *
- Meet regularly with departmental staff; communicate decisions/information effectively to all staff. *
- Maintain and aid in the development of library procedures ensuring the library meets industry standards and complies with district guidelines. *
- Work with library management team and department staff to develop strategic plans and institutional effectiveness measures for the department. *
- Utilize the library-automated systems to ensure appropriate technological solutions are in place for all departmental activities. *
- Facilitate acquisition of library materials and ensure acquisition procedures and processes run smoothly. Integrate library's automated system and OCLC into acquisitions workflow. Meet and work with library vendors to resolve acquisition issues as necessary. *
- Perform complex cataloging of library materials with catalog copy, analyze and resolve complex order and bibliographic problems. May perform original descriptive and subject cataloging and classification in accordance with established cataloging rules. *
- May be assigned occasional shifts at the reference desk providing service to students, faculty and other library patrons. *
- Oversee resource sharing operations (also referred to as "interlibrary lending", "interlibrary borrowing", and "document delivery") related to WinBorrow and OCLC's resource sharing services. *
- Compile information to ensure industry standards and district guidelines are met. Prepare departmental reports as required. *
- Ensure money handled by the circulation desk personnel follows state and district accounting guidelines. *
- Meet with faculty department chairs regularly to ensure technical and circulation services are coordinated with reference and instructional services. *
- Assist patrons at the circulation desk. *
- Participate in professional organizations and training opportunities as appropriate. *
- Attend meetings on campus and occasionally off campus as needed. *
- Inform and educate staff about behavior and performance expectations, provide timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and ensure performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly and effectively. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
* Indicates this is an essential duty
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- AAS or other degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from an accredited institution. Or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Four years of applicable library technical experience.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Knowledge and experience using OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and library automated systems for cataloging, circulation and acquisition activities.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Ability to determine issues and take appropriate corrective action.
- Ability to work in a fast passed environment while meeting strict deadlines.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Experience working with ALMA/PRIMO.
- Experience working in higher education.
- MLS or higher from an accredited institution or comparable degree in a related field.
- Knowledge of strategic planning.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $57,984. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in a normal, temperature controlled office environment.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Move up to 25 lbs occasionally.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Occasional to frequent change in position from sedentary, standing, stooping and walking.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours a week).
- Position is eligible for overtime.
- 6 month Probationary Period; may be extended to 12 months.
- Requires criminal background check.
- Ability to travel locally as well as occasional out-of-town travel. If using personal vehicle for travel proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.