Office Assistant 3 - Head Start
SALARY: $2,658.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 01/10/20
CLOSING DATE: 02/03/20 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
These are the position terms open for recruitment:
Position 1 - 40 hrs. per week, 11.5 months per year at WCCC Head Start,
Position 2 - 40 hrs. per week, 11.5 months per year at Esmeralda Administration Building.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Office Assistant 3 in the Head Start\Early Head Start Division.
Under general supervision this position will perform a variety of clerical assignments to support Head Start center(s) operations. Responsibilities include: receptionist, responding to inquiries regarding program and center services, composing correspondence, preparing reports, establishing and maintaining electronic and manual filing and record keeping systems, updating computer databases, and purchasing supplies and materials. This position will act as a liaison with CCS departments and the Head Start center.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform receptionist duties such as; answer telephones, greet visitors, respond to inquiries or make appropriate referrals, and resolve and/or refer problems. *
- Perform word processing tasks e.g. compose correspondence, proofread written material, make corrections and produce for distribution ex: record, transcribe, and distribute meeting minutes; create meeting notices and agendas; create the monthly site calendar and newsletter; and create letters to families. Maintain spreadsheet and databases for record keeping purposes e.g. HS Performance Standards, volunteer hours, and etc. Gather information for use in monthly reports. *
- Provide clerical support including word processing, data entry (i.e. USDA meal count tracking and maintaining site waitlist using Child Plus program), scanning, and filing (electronic and hard copy) and routine maintenance of program archive files to meet state and federal records retention schedules. *
- Operate, maintain, and arrange for maintenance of office equipment including telephone, fax machine, laminator, and copy machine. Coordinate building maintenance services including janitorial and repair services as needed for HS classrooms and work space. *
- Order, receive, and maintain office and program supplies, equipment, and forms. Prepare and/or process CCS and Head Start/EHS forms, e.g. key requests, staff training requests, vicinity travel, time and effort reports, BIRs and work orders. *
- Perform Purchasing Card custodian duties: sign card in/out to staff, log transactions, review and code transactions, and reconcile invoices to statement. Complete or process purchase requisitions and invoices. May perform shopping/purchasing activities in support of site needs, e.g. parent meeting refreshments. *
- Perform building office clerical duties in support of the Center Manager. *
- May train and direct the work of volunteers.
- May provide occasional assistance in giving breaks to education staff.
- May assist in other Head Start locations as needed.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and grammar.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of general office equipment.
- Experience using computers and spreadsheets, database and word processing software (prefer Microsoft Office).
- Ability to use a multi-line phone system and possess proper phone etiquette skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks meeting multiple deadlines.
- Customer service experience.
- Proofreading and filing skills.
- Ability to handle constant interruptions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of a supervisor and as a member of a team.
- Basic arithmetic skills.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Two years clerical data entry experience.
- Two years Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Publisher 2010 and /or 2013 experience.
- Previous work experience with Head Start or ECEAP, child and family centered programs, and/or low-income populations.
- Experience with specific software programs, e.g. ChildPlus; as well as automated/web based purchasing systems.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $44,626.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
- Base compensation, plus
- Current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates, plus
- Median retirement fund contributions.
The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in a normal, temperature controlled office environment.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Move up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Work directly with students/clients.
- Occasional exposure to fumes, dust, odors and/or biohazards.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Cyclic schedule (less than 12-months/40-hours week)
- Position is eligible for overtime
- 6 month Probation Period; may be extended to 12 months
- Criminal history/child abuse information check including Department of Children, Youth and Families Portable Background Check prior to employment.
- Post-Offer medical exam which includes tuberculin screening and submission of documentation indicating Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR) vaccination or immunity.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) * - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.