Student Financial Accountant
SALARY: $2,963.00 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 05/28/19
CLOSING DATE: 06/17/19 04:00 PM
Please be aware that this recruitment closes at 4:00 p.m. PST. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
The Community Colleges of Spokane is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Student Financial Accountant in the District Business Office.
Under general supervision, this position performs professional accounting functions for the student financial area of the Business Office on the college campuses using policies and procedures established by the Student Financials Accounting Department, State, and Federal regulations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position performs cashiering duties and work alternate shifts as needed.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and review manual and system invoices, match authorizations to invoices, file agency authorizations for future matching to invoices. *
- Update student accounts with student scholarships and notify financial aid of the scholarship. Run queries and reports in order to reconcile Student Accounting and Financial Aid to the general ledger *
- Respond to questions regarding student accounts from students and student services staff. Remove holds after student payments have been verified and reestablish debts so students can pay. *
- Process backup from campus childcare centers, place student charges on student accounts, and reconcile and post DSHS payments to student accounts. *
- Monitor student payments for the tuition payment plan. Assist with the preparation and mailing of past due notices and collection notices. Reconcile accounts and place appropriate holds on student accounts. *
- Reconcile deposits and refunds for off-database deposits for college programs e.g. bakery, automotive, greenery, telecourse, video rentals, and etc. *
- Process adjustments of special populations for student accounts such as Running Start, International, and Dual Enrollment. *
- Lead and direct the work of part-time cashiers. *
- Perform cashiering responsibilities: post transactions to student accounts, process departmental deposits, process incoming mail and faxes, distribute financial aid and work-study checks, and open/close daily electronic cashiering sessions, balancing receipts, and running processes within the student financial system. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned. *
* Indicates this is an essential duty.
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Bachelor's degree, which includes 18 quarter hours or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing, or budgeting from an accredited institution or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- 12 months of relevant professional accounting experience. Professional accounting experience may substitute for education, but not for the credit hours. A Master's degree in a related financial field from an accredited institution, certification as a Public Accountant, Internal Auditor, Certified Governmental Financial Manager or Management Accountant can be substituted for professional experience. *
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to interpret data on student and campus program accounts e.g. financial aid, admissions/registration, invoice maintenance, and etc.
- Ability to work independently, exercising independent judgment, analyzing data and finding efficient, effective solutions with minimal oversight.
- An intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel in order to maintain and reconcile excel spreadsheets to system reports.
- Experience working with computers and automated financial systems.
- Ability to lead and direct the work of staff.
- Customer service experience, with skills serving a diverse customer population.
- Ability to learn new computer software programs.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, and community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Certification as a Public Accountant, Internal Auditor, Certified Governmental Financial Manager or Management Accountant.
- Knowledge of CCS policies and procedures as they relate to Student Accounting activities.
- Knowledge of Department of Education policies and procedures as they relate to financial aid grants and student accounting activities.
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Ability to understand the complexities and anomalies of the accounting systems interaction with cashiering, the bookstore, financial aid system, admissions and the various outside computer systems.
- Experience with supervision in a unionized environment.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* TOTAL COMPENSATION: $50,649. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Work is performed in a temperature controlled office environment.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
- Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
- Visual focus and strain.
- Work in a semi-open office setting with frequent interruptions and background noise.
- Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
- Frequent oral and auditory communication with others.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time schedule (12-month, 40-hours a week).
- May need to work alternate shifts.
- This position is overtime eligible.
- 6-month probationary period; may be extended up to 12 months.
- Criminal background check required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) * - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.