HUBZone Certification

The Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) program helps small businesses in urban and rural communities gain preferential access to federal procurement opportunities.

To qualify for the program, a business (except tribally-owned concerns) must meet the following criteria:

  • It must be a small business for its primary NAICS code. Find out if your business is small with the SBA Size Standards Tool
  • It must meet one of the following ownership and control requirements:
    • Owned and controlled at least 51% by U.S. citizens
    • Wholly owned or owned in part by one or more Indian Tribal Governments or by a corporation that is wholly owned by one or more Indian Tribal Governments
    • An ANC owned and controlled by Natives or a direct or indirect subsidiary corporation, joint venture, or partnership of an ANC
    • Wholly owned or owned in part by a CDC
    • A small agricultural cooperative or a small business concern wholly owned or owned in party by one or more small agricultural cooperatives
  • Except for certain concerns owned by Indian Tribal Governments, all other small businesses must have a principal office located in a qualified HUBZone.
  • At least 35% of all of its employees must reside in a HUBZone. Reside means to live in a primary residence at a place for at least 180 days, or as a currently registered voter, and with intent to live there indefinitely.
HUBZone Logo.

Firms that are owned in whole or in part by Indian Tribal Governments or corporations wholly owned by Indian tribal Governments, at the time of application must either:

  • Maintain a principal office located in a HUBZone and ensure that at least 35% of its employees reside in a HUBZone; or

  • Certify that when performing a HUBZone contract, at least 35% of its employees engaged in performing that contract will reside within any Indian reservation governed by one or more of the Indian Tribal Government owners, or reside within any HUBZone adjoining such Indian reservation. A HUBZone and Indian reservation are adjoining when the two areas are next to and in contact with each other; and the concern will “attempt to maintain” the applicable employment percentage stated above during the performance of any HUBZone contract it receives.

The HUBZone office has a 35% and principal office calculator that you can use to guide you in determining whether you meet these requirements. Before you use it, review the Certification FAQ

Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) Program Preparation Checklist:

All businesses must provide

  • Qualifying individual(s) include all individuals that either own more than 51% of the firm.
  • Active registration in the System for Award Management for the firm, available at (Note: The firm’s DUNS number and EIN, and MPIN must exactly match SAM registration)
  • Signed HUBZone Program Certification Signature Sheet
  • ESOP, Trust, or Franchise Agreement if applicable
  • The firm’s signed and dated federal tax returns over the past three years (must include all schedules and attachments)
  • Deed, Lease/Rental Agreement or property records – Covers the date of electronic verification
  • Utility Bill – Covers the date of electronic verification
  • Firm Location List
  • Official Payroll –Covers the date of electronic verification
  • HUBZone Maps of employee’s home address
  • Valid (unexpired) Driver’s License, DMV ID, or Voter Registration cards for each employee residing in a HUBZone –Covers the date of electronic verification
  • Most recent State and Federal Unemployment tax filing/report
  • Employee List 


  • Articles of Incorporation
  • Copies of stock certificates (front and back)
  • Stock Ledger
  • Corporate Bylaws and any amendments
  • Certificate of Good Standing

Limited Liability Company (LLC)

  • Operating Agreement and any amendments
  • Articles of Organization and any amendments
  • Certificate of Good Standing


  • Partnership Agreement and any amendments
  • Sole Proprietor
  • DBA (Doing Business As) or Trade Name Certificate
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, naturalization paper, or unexpired passport) for qualifying individual(s)
  • Three most recent personal income tax returns (IRS Form 1040) including all schedules 
Scroll to Top